Sunday, November 11, 2007

Introduction

I am 39 years old. I have 4 kids - two sons, two girls.
I like Video Games. Started with a ZX Spectrum. My favorite Spectrum game was Manic Miner.

On the PC my favorite games was Tetris, Simcity, Empire Earth. On the PS2 my favorite games are The Getaway, Hitman, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter.

In recent times, game reviews seems to focus on FPS only for high scores. But also a strange trend seemed to creep in. Some platforms get 10/10 and some games whenever they get to the "coveted AAA" status, the game rankings seem to drop just enough by reviewers to bring it down to under 90% overall. The R&C debacle which had some game magazines publishing all kinds of excuses made me wonder if there is not something seriously wrong with the whole system. It is as of strange forces are at work to discredit some games.

With all this going on - I will post my own reviews of games. Just for fun. I am not a game reviewer. Yes I favor the PS3. Well - I own only the PS2 and PS3 - so I can't review other console games. But what I want to do is watch my children play the games, play the games myself - and let you know - honestly - what I liked and what I disliked.

I am not trying to compete with review sites. This is just a simple blog, by a simple gamer, with 4 kids, (and occasionally my wife) sharing a PS3. So if you enjoy reading my thoughts on a game, let me know.

I am not affiliated to any games company, publisher, retailer in any way. My taste in games may not be what you like.

Also - I will rank games much lower than what you are used to - because I think that the 10/10 scores we are seeing are for marketing purposes - some of them paid for - because when the flaws and weaknesses are made public afterwards, the reviewers acknowledge it - but still give it a 10/10.

I will for example never give a game a 10/10. A OK game will get a 5. Great ones will get to 8 - maybe. The really stellar ones may even reach 9. But I think only one or two will get over 9 this gen. If we set the bar low, then we may see a re-release of Pacman hit 10 by the standards of the reviewers.

So read my reviews, hate me - but this will be my personal opinions.

No comments: